Sunday, September 13, 2009

Loading screens. How I loathe thee.



World of Warcraft has once again promoted itself as my 'full-time' game of choice of late. I've tried other massively online games, as I enjoy the genre immensely. Correction, I have a perception that I enjoy the genre immensely. Truth be told, most new MMO's these days hold my attention for one or two weeks before crashing headlong into the categorization that all game designers hold in high dread - 'Meh'.

Since my posts of late have been lacking enough fastidious fussiness and aggravation, here goes my breakdown of what's wrong with the current batch of MMOs.

Everquest 2 -Its not unreasonable to assume Sony had plans of building upon the success of the original Everquest. Those ambitions quickly vaporized, as an aura of 'fail' quickly surrounded EQ2. A graphics system that required Skynet's younger cousin to run in addition to lack of content, quickly had gamer's feeling nostalgia over EQ2's predecessor.

Lord of the Rings Online - With the 'one Intellectual Property to rule them all', LOTRO should have raised above its status as moderate success (ie it hasn't been shut down yet). More than one gamer has commented "I just cant get into this game..and I don't know why". Ive suffered the same syndrome, only to have my wife solve the mystery one fateful day. She looked over my shoulder...

"Why bother playing, its like World of Warcraft except...boring".

And that's the truth of it. Whilst the zones are beautiful, they lack variety especially in the long haul 1-20 level zones. Endless areas of trees, hills and thousands of bloody bears (seriously this game could be called Bear-World). Reading and watching Tolkien seems more entertaining that playing Tolkien.

Age of Conan - The train-wreck of a launch has been well documented. Take note game designers. Do not list features on the back of the box, that are not in the game. It raises an aura of smoke and mirrors from the outset. AOC arrived with big promises, but fell on its face due to technical hitches and a 'poof and its gone' endgame. The one deal breaker for me was the lack of consistent world design. Instead of traversing my character in an expansive fantasy land, I always felt as though I was stuck on a small path between lots of pretty backdrops. Its a toss up whether Hyboria is populated more by monsters or loading screens.

Warhammer Online - Arguably one of the best marketed MMO's of all time. The developers were all over the gaming press for months promoting the large feature-set, all aimed at the singular focus of skull-bashing Player vs Player combat. Soon after release, the MMO kiss-of-death soon arrived, aka the 'server merge'. Like Age of Conan before it, Warhammer lacks an engaging world. The whole playing environment feels stale, more akin to deathmatch zones strung together.

Ask World of Warcraft critics why its success eludes other games, and you'll hear responses along the lines of its a 'dumbed down' game for the masses. Relegating Warcraft as the McDonald's of gaming completely misses the point. Blizzard struck gold, because they realised what others have not. Players want a tangible connection with their characters and the virtual world they inhabit. They don't want a bunch of levels clumped together, or poorly animated plastic looking avatars equipped with generic looking loot.

I'm really hoping the next generation of Massive Games shift their emphasis back to creating compelling adventures in compelling worlds. Get rid of loading screens, small worlds and bears. I'm hopeful for Aion, but on current word of mouth it seems Champions Online went the 'great characters - bland world' route.

My hopes once again gaze towards Star Wars : The Old Republic...

No comments:

Post a Comment